Not just a treat for Passover. Add fresh or left-over veggies, and you’ve got an easy, one-dish meal all year round.
RECIPE: SEDER SURPRISE Chicken Stuffed Matzo Balls
This recipe makes 15 to 18 chicken-stuffed matzo balls. Prep time: 30 minutes. Cook time: 1 hour.
MATZO BALL MIX
• 4 eggs
• 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1/4 cup chicken broth
• 1 cup matzo meal
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• Optional: 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1. Stir all ingredients together in mixing bowl.
2. Put in refrigerator for mixture to moisten.
CHICKEN MEATBALL STUFFING
• 1/2 lb. ground chicken
• 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1 egg yolk
• 1 small shallot, minced
• 1 garlic clove, finely grated
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (or dill)
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• pinch, freshly ground pepper
1. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix all ingredients together.
3. With wet hands, gently roll about 1 teaspoon of chopped chicken meatball mix together to form a meatball. Place on lined sheet. Continue process with remaining mix.
4. Scoop about 2 teaspoons of matzo ball mix and flatten with moist hands. Place meatball mix inside flattened matzo ball mix and roll up the mix to seal meatball inside. Continue with remaining mix.
5. Bring pot of water (or chicken broth) with a tight-fitting lid, to a boil. Add stuffed matzo balls and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1/2 hour.
6. Transfer matzo meatballs to a pan to cool before serving. (Meatballs can be stored in the refrigerator for 2 days, or the freezer for 2 months.)
This Jewish food recipe and others can be found at Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller.