Nothing better (or easier to make) than a bowl of chilled, sweet and sour borscht for a delicious summer treat.
RECIPE: SWEET & SOUR BORSCHT
INGREDIENTS FOR 6 SERVINGS
1 cup sour cream
6 peeled, hot or cold boiled potatoes
2 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
2 lbs raw beets
Juice of l lemon (or vinegar to taste—start with 1/2 teaspoon)
A little salt and pepper
1. Peel raw beets, then dice or simply cut them in half.
2. Simmer beets in 9 cups of water with salt and pepper for 1 & 1/2 hours.
3. Cut up any beet chunks not yet diced.
4. Chill covered soup.
5. Add lemon (or vinegar) and sugar to taste.
6. Serve with a boiled potato.
7. Pass around sour cream or serve with one tablespoonful for each bowl.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
• myjewishlearning.com - Basis of this article