Family coming to your house for Turkey Day? No problem.
Recipe: Terrific Two-hour Turkey
INGREDIENTS (for 12 lb turkey)
• 1, 12 lb turkey (thawed)
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1 onion, quartered
• 1 large onion, sliced
• 1 carrot, sliced
• 8 sprigs, parsley
• 1 teaspoon rosemary
• 2 oranges, quartered
• 1 cup white wine
• 1/2 cup cognac
• 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
• 1/2 cup tomato juice
PREPARATION (20 minutes)
1. Remove turkey from fridge and let stand at room temperature for 45 minutes.
2. Place rack in lowest position in oven. Line large roasting pan with heavy duty aluminum foil. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
3. Remove giblets and neck from turkey, set aside. Wash and dry turkey with paper towels. Rub turkey with vegetable oil. Sprinkle turkey inside and out with lemon pepper seasoning. Sprinkle inside with salt. Place quartered onion, parsley springs, rosemary, and oranges in the cavity. Sprinkle the area under the neck skin with lemon pepper seasoning, and stuff the area with a few slices of onion. Loosely tie the legs, and fold the wings underneath the turkey.
4. Place prepared turkey in roasting pan. Surround turkey with giblets, neck, remainder of sliced onion and carrot. Mix white wine, cognac, chicken broth, and tomato juice in saucepan and heat over medium heat until liquid is hot (but not boiling). Pour half the liquid into the turkey cavity and the other half into the pan. Cover turkey with more aluminum foil, making a tent so the foil doesn’t contact the turkey skin. Crimp the foil firmly over the edges of the pan to completely seal the turkey in the foil tent.
ROASTING (2 hours)
1. Roast in oven for 1 hour. Remove turkey from oven. Slit foil tent. Fold foil back to expose skin.
2. Reduce oven temperature to 400 degree F (205 degrees C) and roast turkey 1 more hour (until no longer pink at the bone, juices run clear).
3. Remove turkey from oven, cover with doubled sheet of aluminum foil, allow to rest in warm area 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
NOTE: Save the drippings from the roasting pan to make the gravy!
Total time from start to finish: Prep: 20 minutes, Cook: 2 hours, Ready to eat in: 3 hours, 20 minutes
For more information: