Here are 5 suggestions from Doris, a New York online dating veteran, who hit the jackpot at 79.
How to succeed at online dating at 55+
1. Invest in a professional photographer to take the pictures you post on your dating site. The photographer I used took at least 40 different shots. I chose the two I felt were the most flattering, and they attracted many more responses than previous pictures taken by friends.
2. Be honest in describing yourself. One time, when I was 78, I decided to crop a few years off my age and reported myself online as being 74. Then, having once read that an alcoholic never stops at just one drink, I decided that my drinking 3 or 4 glasses of wine at a sitting could mean that I was a borderline alcoholic. So over dinner I told my date that I had a drinking problem. Then I mentioned that I was about to celebrate my 79th birthday. He said, "I thought you were 74." This was a man I really liked, but, needless to add, I never heard from him again. After all, a lying alcoholic is not a very appealing proposition.
3. Deliver a light but truthful biography. Describe the basics of your life story. Don't concentrate on any negatives. See the good in yourself and your experiences, and express them as well as you can. Include family members, hobbies, sports or jobs you're enjoyed. Talk about what you've actually done, not just dreamed of doing.
4. Decide what you want in a partner—intellectual stimulation, shared interests, political or religious values, romance. Intimacy often comes later as a relationship develops, but you should be able to tell early on if he's going to be interested and if he's physically able. You also may need some help with, for example, vaginal lubrication. If so, have a frank discussion with your doctor and learn about both over-the-counter and prescription solutions to this common problem shared by so many post-menopausal women.
5. Be realistic about yourself and any prospective partner. You may have dreams you've been cherishing for years but, at this time of your life, are those dreams still practical? Traveling the world with a loving partner is an exciting adventure, but would you still have the health and stamina to do it? Build new dreams that can be enjoyed in the here and now by you and the partner you find.