This year we must focus on resisting the Trumpist ideology and values that endanger our democracy, damage the health and well being of vulnerable citizens, and threaten our very planet through the perverse denial of scientifically established facts.
Urgent Call to Action
1. Fight voter suppression that exists to prevent elderly, poor and black people from voting.
2. Fight partisan gerrymandering that allows one political party to manipulate the boundaries of an electoral constituency to give that party an unfair advantage.
3. Work to eliminate the electoral college voting system which destroys the democratic concept of each person’s vote carrying equal weight, in favor of the National Popular Vote that allows all citizens to participate equally in electing the President. (Note: The 2016 Presidential election was the second time since 2000 that we elected a President who lost the popular vote; Donald Trump received almost 3 million fewer votes than Hillary Clinton.)
4. Support free speech and an independent media, both currently threatened by Mr. Trump.
5. Defend the Constitutional separation of power between the White House and the Judiciary, often ignored by Mr. Trump.
6. Support the ACLU which defends the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by our Constitution, in courts all over the U.S.
7. Support Special Prosecutor Mueller’s probe into Russian involvement with the 2016 election.
DEALING WITH HUMAN-CAUSED CLIMATE CHANGE
8. Support programs to prevent climate change, despite Mr. Trump’s denial of its existence. Mr. Trump has two reasons for his position: First, he wishes to ensure the continued support of campaign contributions from those wealthy people and corporations who sell fossil fuels and/or chemical products; second, he’s much too busy watching Fox’s alt news to bother about all that “fake science.”
DEFENDING HEALTH & WELL BEING
9. Support a woman’s right to decide if and when she will have a child. She also has the right to use all available birth control processes (including abortion), up to the time when the fetus is sufficiently developed to survive outside the womb.
10. Support Planned Parenthood to enable more women to have access to sexual health care.
11. Fight the reduction of safety net programs —Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid—that our current government intends to use to help pay for the tax reductions promised to our wealthiest people.
12. Prevent the latest plan to destroy Obamacare —refusing to budget money for critical pieces of the Obamacare law.
13. Restore the environmental protections and federal funding for science and the environment that Mr. Trump—with the help of current EPA Administrator, Scott Pruitt, well-known opposer of the EPA’s agenda—has watered down or removed altogether.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
• aclu.org - Voter suppression
• en.wikipedia.org - Gerrymandering
• en.wikipedia.org - Electoral College
• act.commoncause.org - Why the National Popular Vote is more democratic than the Electoral College
• news.nationalgraphic.com - Attacks on environmental protection and science
• politico.com - Attacks on First Amendment
• nytimes.com - Attacks on separation of powers of the presidency and the judiciary
• en.wikipedia.org - What is a fetus
• asknelly.com - What does Planned Parenthood do?
• washingtonpost.com - Trump denial of climate change
• en.wikipedia.org - Investigation into Russian interference with the 2016 Presidential election