50+. WHEN LESS MAKEUP IS MORE
CINDY’S FIVE MAKEUP TIPS FOR OLDER WOMEN
1. Cream-based is better than powder-based cosmetics because it doesn’t cake on your skin, emphasize wrinkles or add undesirable texture.
2. Use a natural-looking lipstick that is close to the tone of your inner lip or gums.
3. Don’t try to recreate the eyebrows you had 30 years ago. After 50, your brows tend to change shape, color or—eventually—may even disappear. Go with the flow, making minimal corrections.
4. Drop the eye shadow. It draws attention to crepey lids. Use mascara lightly, choosing to add thickness rather than length to your lashes.
5. Avoid tinted moisturizers. If you use a foundation to even out skin tone, find one that provides coverage and smoothness. Pick a shade that matches your skin tone. Try different brands until you find one that does the best job for you.
THREE IMPORTANT SAFETY TIPS
• Use at least 30 SPF sunblock on your face and the backs of your hands 365 days a year, regardless of the weather, to protect your skin from further sun damage.
• Use moisturizer after cleansing your face, night and morning.
• Exfoliate facial skin frequently.
WHAT WORKS FOR YOUR SKIN TODAY
As we age, our skin changes. We can lose or develop new allergies. Colors that have worked in the past may no longer do the job. Your skin may be drier, or have dark or rough spots. Invest the time to do your homework for all your makeup staples. Test and try the various products on offer, regardless of price (sometimes the cheapest may work best!). Still in doubt? Your dermatologist may have some ideas and recommendations, as well.
For more information:
• boombycindyjoseph.com - Website for BOOM makeup
• boombycindyjoseph.com - Cindy’s 5 makeup tips, and more
• AskNelly.com - Is Your Makeup Safe?
• AskNelly.com - Is Your Lipstick Safe?
• fda.gov - cosmetics - laws and regulations
• makeupart.net - find makeup artists